
School bells that is! We are gearing up for another school year! (yay!) That means a winding down of summer. The weather even seems to be cooperating in getting the kids into the mode of days spent inside. We've had quite a bit of rain for August. I have enjoyed the cooler days though.
We took the opportunity to go to Silver Creek Falls last weekend. It's 8000+ acre area in the Cascades near Salem that's home to 10 waterfalls. How I wish I had photos to share! Our camera quit working the day we went so we are left with only the memories. If you've ever been in the Cascades, you'll know how lush and green the landscape is. Ferns blanket the forest floor and 80+ ft. fir trees tower overhead. Just gorgeous. And the smell of the forest is intoxicating!
Another "Oregon" thing we did was pick blackberries. They grow wild everywhere they can. The bushes are very prickly, even the leaves have spines! We made a yummy cobbler with them for FHE. I'd take a picture of that too, if I could.
So, back to the beginning of school....
The smell of fall is in the air. New crayons, freshly waxed school gym floor, new clothes, and stacks of paper and pencils all have their nostalgic scents. I've been able to pick up supplies little by little when things were on sale so as to avoid the shock of getting it all at once. We have so many crayons, you'd think we owned stock in Crayola! So the kids take a new box at the beginning of the year and use maybe 10 different colors out of 48 or 64. So just a handful of crayons have any wear on them. Anyone need a brand new burnt sienna? Salmon pink? Indigo? Oh, and the "new" colors, timberwolf (gray) and purple-mountain's-majesty (dark lavender)? Anyone??
Ah, I'm counting the days, hours, minutes...
Lindsey's heading off to preschool too so, Claire and I will have a few hours to ourselves this year. Can you hear the choir of angels singing?? Serenity. Ohmmmmm.

In other news...
Everett earned his "Arrow of Light" a couple months ago and his first boy scout badge recently, which I think is to signify that he's now a Boy Scout, not a Cub Scout.
I am hoping to post some photos soon! Here's to hoping! Any suggestions for a great digital camera that won't break the bank??
We took the opportunity to go to Silver Creek Falls last weekend. It's 8000+ acre area in the Cascades near Salem that's home to 10 waterfalls. How I wish I had photos to share! Our camera quit working the day we went so we are left with only the memories. If you've ever been in the Cascades, you'll know how lush and green the landscape is. Ferns blanket the forest floor and 80+ ft. fir trees tower overhead. Just gorgeous. And the smell of the forest is intoxicating!
Another "Oregon" thing we did was pick blackberries. They grow wild everywhere they can. The bushes are very prickly, even the leaves have spines! We made a yummy cobbler with them for FHE. I'd take a picture of that too, if I could.
So, back to the beginning of school....
The smell of fall is in the air. New crayons, freshly waxed school gym floor, new clothes, and stacks of paper and pencils all have their nostalgic scents. I've been able to pick up supplies little by little when things were on sale so as to avoid the shock of getting it all at once. We have so many crayons, you'd think we owned stock in Crayola! So the kids take a new box at the beginning of the year and use maybe 10 different colors out of 48 or 64. So just a handful of crayons have any wear on them. Anyone need a brand new burnt sienna? Salmon pink? Indigo? Oh, and the "new" colors, timberwolf (gray) and purple-mountain's-majesty (dark lavender)? Anyone??
Ah, I'm counting the days, hours, minutes...
Lindsey's heading off to preschool too so, Claire and I will have a few hours to ourselves this year. Can you hear the choir of angels singing?? Serenity. Ohmmmmm.

In other news...
Everett earned his "Arrow of Light" a couple months ago and his first boy scout badge recently, which I think is to signify that he's now a Boy Scout, not a Cub Scout.
I am hoping to post some photos soon! Here's to hoping! Any suggestions for a great digital camera that won't break the bank??
Photos from Flikr.com. "Crayons" Taken by member laffy4k.
6 comments:
I love new crayons! Sounds like you guys had a fun little trip, too bad no pics! Good luck with your new calling!
I love the crayon picture! My kids and I love school supplies! It's like Christmas at our house.
And the first day of school is even better :)! 8 hours to myself! (Don't tell them that I actually miss them most of the time)
Yes I feel a repeat of the angelic choir coming on!
Lowden's getting his Arrow of Light tonight! Yeah for that!
We are already in our third week of school - that is crazy! Your vacation in the Cascades sounds heavenly. Brian and I need to make that a destination!
meg~ Everett will get his tonight too since he was gone during the last pack meeting. He wanted to do the whole thing, getting recognized at the pack meeting in front of people, the feather arrow, ya' know...
What a fun post- sounds like one from a happy mom! I like our Canon Powershot SD 750, it was only $180. Check out cnet.com for other ideas.
Post a Comment