Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Back to School...At Long Last!



Everett and Camille started school yesterday. I was waiting for the overwhelming feeling of mother-love and longing to kick in, but, nope. Nothing. Nothing, that is, but pure relief. Am I a bad mom for not missing my kids one iota? I didn't miss the phrases "I'm BORED!!!" or "Can we GO somewhere today???" As if we sat and stared at the walls from dawn til' dusk everyday this summer. Granted, we didn't do as much as we've done in the past, but, HELLO-O, taking a baby anywhere involves wayyyy more preparation than I had the energy to do. Sigh. Maybe next year.

Well, we now officially have a "middle-schooler" an "elementary-schooler" a preschooler and a toddler. Everett was pleasantly surprised at how much he enjoyed his new school. He will be learning to play the trumpet. His band teacher is one of the best in the NW, we're told. He has trophies on a shelf lining the perimeter of the band room. The jazz band (7th/8th graders) played for the parents at Orientation and I was amazed at how great they sounded. Better than our high school band ever did! Camille was excited that she got the teacher she wanted. She would go into this teacher's class for reading group last year. Her best friend is also in the same class. Needless to say, she will LOVE school again this year.
Photo by Paogo on flikr.com
Lindsey will be off to preschool tomorrow. This will be her first formal school experience. This school comes highly recommended by several friends in the ward. We went to the open house today and she was so excited that she'll get to go back and stay for a couple hours. Without me. I'm sure she will be fine....

Claire is on the verge of speaking some intelligible words other than mama and dad. I think she said "more" today. Hard to tell. I love this stage! Language acquisition is so exciting!

Still no camera, photos. SIGH.....

3 comments:

Margaret said...

That's how I felt last year but for some odd reason I missed them yesterday. Maybe next year I won't again. On again Off again. Maybe that's my plan?

I heard great things about the band teacher I think Everett has. That is exciting!

Lowden wants to do band next year but no trophies in our band room...yet. Ha Ha☺

Leavitt Family said...

Oh my gosh it is so great to hear about the kids! Go Everett with the trumpet! Brett played the trumpet! Everything sounds great! Thanks for the birthday wishes, have a great day

Jensen Family said...

Sounds like your kid are doing great! I think once you get over your first kid going to 1st grade and being gone all day that it is normal to want school to start so you don't have to entertain them all day long! Next year I will probably be so glad when school starts, this year was hard cuz I wasn't use to it! But I think I'm lovin the break now! Miss you guys!