Sunday, December 21, 2008

Merry Christmas, Friends!

It has been such a wonderful Christmas Season so far that I don't want it to end! We were given a notebook a few years ago that contains a song, a scripture, and a story for each day in December leading up to Christmas. We have enjoyed reading and singing from that book each year. We are less strict about reading the corresponding stories for the day, but rather we re-read our favorites more often. Many of them are tear-jerkers! I have been able to reflect on what Christmas time means to me. We've read stories of love and loss, of miracles and answered prayers. I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ know each of us by name; that they desire for us to love and serve one another, and that in so doing we will find pure JOY! I am so very grateful for all of my many blessings!
We were looking forward to trekking across Oregon to be with my parents for Christmas but with snow now measuring in feet through the Cascades, we will stay put again this year. I am disappointed but am comforted by the knowledge that we are safe and sound in a nice warm home.
I grew up in a small Eastern Oregon town where snow was the norm at Christmastime. One of my fondest memories is when a neighbor plowed the neighborhood streets with his small tractor. He piled the snow up on the edge of our front yard. I thought I was the luckiest kid in town with my very own mountain of snow! I worked very hard to smooth one side of that pile in order to slide down. I spent many chilly hours on that hill! I remember feeling SO disappointed when spring came and the snow melted away.
There's still a measure of magic when I see the first few flakes start to drift down from the silver-gray sky.

May you all be Blessed with Christ's Spirit as we Celebrate his birth!

1 comment:

Jensen Family said...

How fun to have your own snow hill when you were young! Merry Christmas!