Friday, April 18, 2008

Fun Fitness Stuff

I was given a link to a great fitness website a few months ago. Spark People is the name and it's absolutely free to join. I am having fun with it. There are some great features there like a food tracker (food journal) and fitness tracker to keep track of the activities/exercise you do. It gives you the #of calories burned and a great analysis of your food's nutritional value ie: calories, protein, carbs, fat, and you can also set it to find out how much fiber and/or other nutrients are in there. I'm amazed at the nutritional value or lack thereof in many different foods. There are many other great features too.

I also found another great site that will give you a nutritional analysis of your recipes. You input the recipe and the yield and it will give you a nutrition label like the ones you see on packaged foods. I love that! I've used this to find out serving sizes so that I can go input it into my spark food tracker. Very helpful! I was pleasantly surprised at how great the Hearty Meat Lasagna scored since it is my new favorite! I won't even bother with my favorite cheesecake recipe though. Some things are better left in the dark.

Another site I've used to find out height to weight ratio--Body Mass Index and how many calories I would burn doing nothing--called Basal Metabolic Rate is here. I then use that to find out other fun stuff like "can I eat that slice of Chocolate Turtle Cheesecake?" There's also a body fat percentage calculator. Just to be informed. After all that "analysis" I might have to just eat the cheesecake anyway to lift my spirits! So fun!

4 comments:

Margaret said...

I am SO glad to hear that you liked the Lasagna recipe. It's our new favorite too!!!

Shannon said...

I am going to have to check out those websites for sure!

I just found the best cinnamon roll recipe though - which I definitely DO NOT want to know the nutrional info for.

http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/C/71.htm

Jensen Family said...

Hey that sounds cool, I'll have to check out that nutritional analysis site! Daniel and I have really been trying hard to eat healthy lately and get in shape for the summer! Thanks for the info!

Leavitt Family said...

That lasagna recipe makes me sooo hungry! Thanks for all your comments on my blog!
Love, Jody